The sandal poem was well-received. Here are my conflicting thoughts on a really big (well, medium-sized...not quite medium...smaller than medium I guess) nuisance the last few days. Hopefully this will portray not only my thoughts and a little bit of what I am going through...but also some unique things about my trip to Uganda and the area around our house...and no, I am not exaggerating on any of the environmental factors.
I will include a picture link of my toe at the end...but, for the squeamish....please DO NOT LOOK. I warned you. [UPDATE: pic link has been removed due to the initial responses. Email if you want to see it.]
The conundrum of the ring toe
O ring toe, O ring toe
Should I bandage you or let you go?
The band-aid may hermetically seal,
but with open air will you quicker heal?
Though pathogens flee with space to roam,
there's a forecast of pee at the Babies' home.
And what if in the alley, on a late night chat,
we fall in the ditch with the decaying cat?
O ring toe, O ring toe
Sandals or sneakers, do you know?
Flip flops will surely leave you exposed
to the dirt and sewage of Kampala roads.
Yet darkness makes the infection grow
and under socks and shoes no light does go.
O ring toe, O ring toe
To the doctor, or shall we wait?
Peroxide at seven, Neosporin at eight
Are home remedies enough to negate
the serious pain? Or is it too late?
Have we dealyed too long, must we amputate?
If we de-toe, what knife will do the chore?
the rusty blade from the roach-infested drawer?
O ring toe, O ring toe
Even your name, a conflicting sight.
No ring on you will ever reside.
Second from the left? Fourth from the right?
Not first or middle, not big, not little,
no words to describe you - no not quite.
O ring toe. O woe! O woe!
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment