Friday, July 17, 2009

Background

For those who do not know me well, I just wanted to share a little bit of my Christian background ----this is part of my application to the Empower a Child program, and I think it will share a little bit about myself and why I am at the "launch point" I referenced in a previous post.

Explain briefly how and when you became a Christian.
I was raised in a Roman Catholic family and attended church every week growing up. I served as an altar boy and also taught Sunday School to elementary students in high school. I was baptized as a child and completed Confirmation in the Catholic church. Through college and after graduation, I did not regularly attend church.

I married my collegiate sweetheart - it was a marriage that was not based on Christian values. We divorced 2 years later, which was devastating to me. I handled my feelings and disappointment by turning towards worldly objects and desires.

A few years ago, I began to realize that the void I felt in my life and the feeling that I was meant for something greater than just being successful was entirely due to my own hubris and the lack of reliance on God in my life. Exploring this further through Christian groups, church, and reading, God led me to discover that my lack of reliance on God was really due to the shame and guilt I have felt from sin in my life. I began searching for a church, reading the Bible and went through the Celebrate Recovery program. I realized that I was completely broken. I also realized that God forgave me for my sins! I had no reason to feel guilty. The sense of freedom from guilt and shame was a burden lifted from me. For the past year and a half, I have enjoyed going to church every week; I love fellowship with other Christians; and I want to share the good news about Jesus Christ with others.

I am now in a position where I am ready to share my faith and freedom with others. I have begun taking a larger part in discussions at work and in social settings with people that need direction in life. I had lost God, but He never lost me. I feel that it is my duty and my privilege to share this message with others and to encourage others in their faith walks as well.

What major factors have helped you most in your spiritual life?
  • People. Fellowship and direction from strong Christians has played a pivotal role in understanding God's love.
  • Discipline. Reading and studying the Bible as God's divine word has been the strongest influence on my Christian journey. Attending church regularly has a resounding effect on each week.
  • Humility. My life began to change when I admitted that I have no control over my life and that God directs every move.

No comments:

Post a Comment