Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 19 - Running commentary of Travel Day 1 to Q

Pushing off in Houston - Jon, Todd and I were upgraded, so we are sitting in rows 4 & 5 surrounded by vacationers looking forward to the limtless sun (& drinks) in Cancun. The mood amongst the team is one of fervored excitement (or is it fevered? eh, no bother) ---- bubbling over when we first met up at the ticket counter. It's odd - I just turned 30 and yet feel like we are on a high-school trip ---there definitely is a youthful exuberance with everyone at this point. I know this feeling will quell after 6-7 hours travelling and after tense examinations by customs officers, but if our spirits will be even half this boisterous in our destination country, we will make incredible connections for God's glory.

So far, I have had the opportunity to talk with a few of my team members and although I cannot remember everyone's name yet, I feel like this experience will be wonderful.

I'm carrying a backpack and an electric guitar, Todd is carrying a bass and Jon has a couple of amps -- this may be the closest I ever come to being a rock-star, walking through the airport with my mates before a Latin American tour. I joked with Allison and she agreed that we should break out into song, riding escalators (a la the Monkees or Partridge family) at the Cancun airport, but we ultimately decided that might draw unnecessary attention to us. We are going to our destination legally through a Humanitarian license, but certainly Q's government would be suspicious of a group of Americans coming into their country and helping to organize/mobilize a large young group of it's citizens. Acknowledging the oppression and paranoia of an authoritarian government, I cannot really blame them for being wary, considering the attempted overthrows that the US government has organized in the past.

Of course, no political agenda here ----> we are only encouraging young Christians and really just sharing love and worship with our neighbors to the South. A personal goal of mine is that we are able to express to the young Q'ans that God's love is not bound by political borders or social confines.

Our mission: we are going to assist in a Christian youth camp organized by a group that connects and spreads Christianity and God's love throughout high schools. But, our trip also supports the group financially and musically, hence the guitars, keyboards, and amps.

I noticed Jon give the sign of the cross as the flight doors were closing. I was praying myself, but his outward sign of a Catholic upbringing gives me an automatic connection with him and a sense of comfort that I sometimes lack when surrounded by people who have grown up Protestant. I know that sounds funny...but it is just the way I feel sometimes...sort of like an outsider at times. I don't normally feel this way in groups...it is just that sprout Protestants (or non-Denoms) have all these similar experiences growing up and often talk about them. In some of our first mission meetings at Allison's house----after hearing one testimony after the next talking about YL and Camp etc etc....I mean, it was awesome to hear that everyone shared common bonds, but I guess I often felt left out. And sometimes, it seemed those testimonies were just the zest of the lemon....and I left knowing what they did...but not who they were. I hope this trip allows me to grow closer to the team members through a shared fellowship.

Ahhh....just got the hot, wet towel they provide in First Class --> I always take the towel, wipe my hands, press it against my face, and try not to think about the thousands of people who have done the same thing with the same towel before me.
------really a classic thought from me. We are flying to a poor country, where most citizens do not have the opportunity or money to enjoy an international plane flight and yet I am complaining about a used towel. Somehow acknowledging my arrogance doesn't make me feel any better. I pray that God gives me another perspective on this trip.

So, I have definitely decided that every sentence in my blog cannot be profound and I shouldn't try to make it so---> I will let this evolve how it will...sometimes a running commentary...other times just a synopsis of the day, but always a repository for my thoughts and memories.

Just listened to a Julieta Venegas song on my Ipod....spanish is such a beautiful language. I have been told that Q'an spanish is slurred and "butchered", but I imagine it will still sound more beautiful than english.

No comments:

Post a Comment