Friday, July 17, 2009

Sabbatical thoughts

It has been two weeks since I received the email from Rachel Stein, telling me I was accepted into the Empower-A-Child program in Uguanda (http://www.empower-a-child.org/). I had been praying for that email for two months (as had some of my close friends), and God delivered in a big way.

It is amazing how God constructed and timed events which have allowed me to answer his call. Just as I hit a launch point spiritually, my company offerred a sabbatical program which coincided with my apartment lease coming up for renewal. Sort of an eclipse of spiritual growth, feelings and circumstances....

I was sitting at work when the email hit my inbox with "You're Accepted!!" in the subject line. My heart leapt -- I'm pretty sure it hit my ribcage... After the elation settled, the following two weeks have been a complete blur....moving out of my apartment, dropping my possessions in storage, buying plane tickets, etc etc. I definitely feel lucky to have great friends who have allowed me to store clothes, shoes, and myself in their houses/apartments in the interim period.

I still do not understand how God will use me over the next few months, but I am keeping an open mind, trusting completely in God and allowing him to lead me. Although I understand this is how our lives should be led all the time, I have found it easy to suffer from modern-day hubris in the convenience of the United States and through the sterilization of my upper-middle class upbringing. And yet again, I understand that this lesson may not be what God has in store for me....I guess the bottom line is that I am going into my sabbatical with as few preconceived notions as possible.

Ok....so, here is a brief synopsis of my itinerary over the next couple of months:
  • July 19th - Qubah mission trip (purposely misspelled)
  • July 25th - Return to Houston
  • July 26th thru August 6th - Family/Friend Carousel RoadTrip to New Orleans, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Midland (?)
  • August 9th - Flight to Uganda (stopping in Amseterdam and hopefully having a coffee with my good friend Scott during my layover)
  • August 10th - Arrive in Entebbe, Uganda - transport to Kampala house
  • September 14th - Flight back to US
  • September 15th - Arrive in Houston
Of course, there are a lot of blanks in the preceding calendar, but hopefully this blog will fill those in over time.


No comments:

Post a Comment