At the beginning of the week, the leaders and volunteers at EAC meet and decide roles for each outreach project for that week. Typical roles include: Opening prayer, Games, Share, Crafts, Closing prayer, etc.
Katalemwa is a single story school with separate buildings for each classroom...the classroom we visited consisted of about 15 disabled kids. The kids' ages ranged from 5-16 and the disabilities were mainly mangled legs and arms. I have yet to learn how the kids got injured, i.e. which injuries were birth defects versus other maladies.
When we walked in, the kids came running, crutching, wheeling, etc to give us all hugs. It doesn't matter that I have never met them before today, they loved me nonetheless.
There was a little boy about 5 years old who loved to be held and immediately latched onto me....I think he recognized a new face who would not be able to resist. We started off with praise & worship...pretty much the same songs we sing during morning devotion, with a few other songs where we introduce ourselves...fun stuff.
Then Amy ("Emmay") and Courtney put on a puppet show about God's unconditional love and Anna led everyone in crafts.... Crafts consisted of a mini greeting card depicting God's love. Before I left Houston, I found these great Christian stickers at the dollar store (396 for $1)...so, I bought 10 sticker books. I handed out the stickers to the other EAC members and we passed out the stickers...huge hit with the kids (thanks LR!).
Edith told me the teachers told her that the only time some of these kids smile is when we visit...our praise and worship is truly infectious. "Jesus, Jesus my Savior....I love Jesus...oh yes, I do do do" "Do you want to KNOW ME?....My name is CURT...I come from Texas.....oh yes I do do do!"
I don't really have many pictures from Katalemwa because the guard asked us not to take any this time. Maybe another time it will be better.

No comments:
Post a Comment