Friday, August 14, 2009

Ode to Adventure Sandals

Just a little poem I wrote in appreciation of something which I hated so much before coming to Uganda:

Plastic and Velcro, you are
with a little rubber and nylon sewn in.
I never wanted you, oh sandals true,
You were ugly and useless.
What could you do that tennis shoes could not, I thought?
How often would I utilize your "adventure" traction?
What a waste of $90 dollars.

Oh, but adventure sandals, you proved me wrong.
Your luxurious nylon hugged my ankle
like a mom cradles her son.
Your closed top protected my digits
like a bear defends her cubs.
And your "shoc pad" cushioned my heels
like a cloud hangs in air.

I spent 4 weeks and 12 visits
to Whole Earth searching for you.
Who would've thought you were at
Famous Footwear all along? Waiting patiently
to strap me off my feet.

You amazed me today at the well.
My legs were bloody, you were muddy, but
my feet were safe in your shell.

1 comment: