Thursday, August 20, 2009

Praying for clarity and other thoughts/points so far this week

Aug-20
It has been 9 days since I arrived in Uganda. And several incidents happened over the past few days that were challenging spiritually and required some time to pray, decompress and analyze. I was able to speak to a good friend yesterday who helped me identify some of my feelings.

As I have befriended more and more Ugandans and opened up more to sharing love and God over the past week, I have been in several situations where God has shown to me the disparity between my personal relative wealth vs. the kids I am serving, the fellow EAC Ugandan volunteers, and even the fellow foreign volunteers. Of course, I knew this before I came over but I did not really feel the impact until I arrived here and settled in. Understanding the above pont is not the problem; the problem is what I will do about it:
  • At the Kids In Need home for street kids, one specific kid asked for me to buy him a watch like mine...and then a camera like Emily's (a $600 camera). I laughed it off and said no, because I know that this kid does not need support that way and any money or item I were to give him would be sold on the street and possibly used for ill ends. But the point is that I could actually swing those items and not even blink.
  • Sponsorship - As I believe I mentioned earlier, I have begun to sponsor a child here...her name is J. and she has a sad story. Her dad, a pastor, abandoned her family, took all their belongings and has completely disowned them. She has 7 brothers and sisters and her mom does not work and cannot afford school fees. Ugandan primary school is guaranteed by the government, but secondary school is not guaranteed and many bright children cannot afford to finish their education. Anyhow, her dad bribed court officials and police so he was able to take everything they owned and neglect child support without punishment. Apparently, the court case was all over the papers at the time. Sponsorship costs only $30/month....so I found J. and have begun to sponsor her. Her younger sister also needs sponsorship, so I picked her up as well yesterday. Apparently, her other siblings are older and do not need sponsorship. I visited her mom and prayed with them on Tuesday. The entire experience has stirred up further thoughts about what I am doing and what I will do with all my relative wealth.
  • A fellow friend asked me to help raise money for a certain venture. Sorry for the cryptic writing...there is a reason.
  • After cleaning another well on Tuesday, I helped carry jars of water to a child's house a few minutes away....we just wanted to reach out to the community and let them know that we are doing God's work and it is all for His glory....with the hope that the unsaved will see our faith and strive for a relationship with God. On my second trip, I approached the child's house to find his father outside drinking a bottle of vodka one shot at a time - at 11:30 AM. I sat down and chatted with him for 30 minutes. He was so untrusting and angry at many things in this world....he encouraged me to individually help out/give money to kids rather than sponsor through an organization such as EAC. I defended EAC, and let him know that the organization is necessary because it ensures that needy and hard-working children get sponsors, which is something that potential sponsors cannot know. And also that EAC ensures the money goes to school fees and other necessary items like mattresses, blankets and clothes. He talked in circles, but told me his story...it was sad but not uncommon in Uganda. Jimmy has a lot of pain as many of his siblings have died due to AIDS/other diseases....and he is disgusted at all the corruption in Uganda which he sees as further pushing him and others down. He implored me not to judge him for being an alcoholic and I reassured him that I am not the judge. At the end of our talk, I asked to gather in prayer....I prayed for him that God will heal his pain and that he would begin to trust again. But, I promised him that I would help out somebody individually rather than through an organization at some point.
  • God is revealing a truth about the fairness of the distribution of wealth in the world....the 'have-nots' praise the Lord with their entire hearts...and most 'haves' seem to take things for granted and believe they are responsible for their wealth. Overall, I understand fully why Jesus said "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God."...I am just so thankful and joyous that He followed that with "what is impossible with men is possible with God."

Other items to note:

  • The kids at the Remand Home (Detention/Rehabilitation/Wayward center) think I look like Paco, a character in the spanish soap opera Shades of Sin, which is really popular (dubbed in English) here in Uganda. Apparently, Paco has a twin brother who supposedly died on a boating trip and then Paco assumed his brother's identity....but then his brother really isn't dead....and then the drama ensues...etc. My friends Courtney and Anna recently got their hair braided (really a weave) and the ladies helping them watched Shades of Sin for 9 hours while they were weaved (YES, it took 9 hours). Anyhow, when I mentioned to Courtney about Paco, she was really excited and immediately agreed with the kids' assessment. I tried to look the guy up online, but I think it may just be my hair that is similar.
  • The kids at the Kids In Need center (for street kids) told me and the other Ugandan volunteers that I look like Rambo. I think it because of the curly dark hair...not because I have a propensity to blow up Southeastern Asian villages.
  • After not having running water for 3 days, we finally got water for one day....but it went off again the next day. So, now we are on our 3rd day again without running water....We have been getting water from the well down the road...but things are beginning to get smelly....luckily the Ugandans know how to handle the situation and have been teaching us muzungus.
  • I have made it my personal job to provide ice cream everyday for dessert....I have bought a gallon of vanilla and chocolate ice cream the last few days for everyone in the house.....seriously, all the Ugandans love me because I love ice cream as much as they do.
  • I have a great story about today...but it will have to wait until my next post...I am announcing a friend again tonight as part of a Freshman orientation at a local University.

No comments:

Post a Comment